Empowering Employment Case Study
Posted on Wednesday, December 4, 2019 by Venn Group — No comments
The London Borough of Waltham Forest was looking to build the employability skills of young people in the area through its Cultural Leadership Programme.
As part of our Empowering Employment initiative, our Training Manager, Ben Browning held a workshop on personal branding in the job application process, to equip the young people with the skills and confidence to succeed in their career aspirations.
- 16 attendees from diverse backgrounds would be attending, with a two hour timeslot to guide them on the importance of personal brand in job applications
- Experience in the recruitment industry was beneficial to give real-world insight to the attendees on what hiring managers were looking for
- Enhanced understanding of CVs and applications needed to show young people how to appropriately incorporate personal brand messaging into their supporting documents and professional online presence (e.g. LinkedIn)
- An ability to inspire confidence is paramount when working with young people, especially those who may have encountered setbacks in their job search so far
- Over 15 years of experience was provided by Ben, who has worked as a consultant recruiting to a variety of roles and supporting 1000s of candidates in their careers, and more recently taken on training roles in EY and now Venn Group
- Understanding of young people was present, as Ben trains our graduate consultants to enable them to succeed. He also acted as a mentor to school leavers as part of EY’s mentoring programme, which enabled him to tailor the content and approach to the group
- Bespoke resources were created to fit the brief of the workshop and the demographic of attendees. These included exercise books, slide decks and challenging tasks throughout the session
- Attendees left the session with clarity over their personal brand, and have since incorporated this into their applications and professional online presence
- They also benefitted from speaking to someone with such extensive experience working in the recruitment industry, who could give real insight into what they needed to succeed in their job searches
- These workshops instil confidence in young people that they are more than capable of securing the employment opportunities they are striving towards
If you would like more information on how we can support your organisation’s stakeholders through our Empowering Employment initiative, please email firstname.lastname@example.org