Job Title: Assistant Director of Governance
Job description: A Local Authority in South Yorkshire is looking for an Assistant Director of Governance for an immediate start on a contract until May 2022. There are no specific qualification requirements its more about the experience and the skillset that they need and the work is to change all the policy and constitution from a cabinet to committee model so this work is on a tight timeline and needs to be completed prior to next May’s AGM.
- Provide advice and support to Leadership Teams and Senior Officers within Portfolios and to EMT.
- Deputise for and assist the Director of Legal and Governance as lead governance advisor to Council, Cabinet and Committees including Audit and Standards Committee, to include advising individual members.
- Advising and working closely with the Director of Legal and Governance to ensure the Council acts lawfully and ethically.
- Lead the development of the Governance teams and engagement with elected members
- Lead the whole Legal & Governance service development within the Council by developing and implementing the ambitions, aims and objectives of the Legal & Governance Business Plan.
- Lead development and manage functions within Governance services, ensuring a customer focussed approach, best practice and innovation.
- Establish and maintain standards and performance indicators with associated monitoring and reporting systems, ensuring these are actively communicated, promoted and implemented.
- Ensure the plans and operation of the above functions across the Council and in the team are efficient and deliver savings and value for money.
- Maintain effective liaison with all Council Portfolios making close links with Portfolio Management Teams and Business Partners in each Directorate.
The successful candidate would need the following experience:
- Experience in a senior governance role within local government, where you have developed strategic policy and practice in relation to organisational governance including Democratic Services and Information Governance
- Experience delivering transition programmes within local government, ideally in relation to the governance model
- Membership of a relevant professional body is desirable, such as ADSO (Association Of Democratic Services Officers) or LLG (Lawyers in Local Government).
Day rate: PAYE £229 - £249 or Umbrella £287 - £312
To discuss this role in more detail please contact Sophie Anderson (email@example.com) or Tom Cuthbert (firstname.lastname@example.org). You can also reach the North Local Government Team on 0161 830 1830.
Venn Group is an equal opportunities employment business and employment agency and welcomes applications from all candidates.