Health and Safety Advisor - Permanent
Salary: £26,715 - £31,866 per annum
Benefits: 30 days annual leave plus public and concessionary holiday days, flexible working time and excellent pension benefits.
Venn Group are working in partnership with Aston University to recruit for exciting opportunities within a forward thinking Health and Safety Team.
About Aston University
Aston University was announced as the Guardian University of the Year 2020 and winner of the Times Higher Education’s (THE) 2020 Outstanding Entrepreneurial University.
College and School structure
The University is made up of three Colleges forming our internal structure and Schools within the Colleges, which form our externally-facing brands:
- College of Business and Social Sciences (Aston Business School, Aston Law School, Social Sciences and Humanities)
- College of Health and Life Sciences (School of Biosciences, Pharmacy, Optometry, Aston Medical School and Psychology)
- College of Engineering and Physical Sciences (Schools of Informatics and Digital Engineering, Infrastructure and Sustainable Engineering and Engineering and Technology)
Excellence in teaching and research
We combine intensive teaching and research and are known for our high quality teaching - the award of gold in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF), is testament to this. Teaching is specialist, relevant and practical with access to professional and technical equipment in the relevant subject area.
Links with industry
Aston’s close and established links with business, the public sector and the professions ensure that our career-focused degree programmes are inspiring and challenging. Many of our programmes have professional accreditations and awards from the relevant professional body or association.
Pioneers for work placements
Aston University has over 50 years’ experience of providing students with placement opportunities, working with hundreds of employers across the West Midlands, the UK and globally to deliver excellent placements, Over 80% of our graduates are in professional level employment or further study within 15 months of graduating ((2021 Guardian University Guide).
Green, sustainable campus
With 15,000 students from more than 120 countries, Aston University is a safe and friendly campus enjoyed by a global, multicultural community. We have one of the ‘greenest’ universities in the UK, and are currently in the top 10 in the 2019 People and Planet University Green League. Our academic campus houses all the social and accommodation facilities for our students and is within walking distance to the city.
Centrally located in Birmingham
Aston University has a great location in the centre of Birmingham, one of the UK’s most vibrant
cities. We are ideally placed for transport links and Birmingham is one of the most accessible cities in the UK.
As a Health and Safety Advisor, you will work with colleagues with the College of Engineering and Physical Sciences to provide professional advice and assistance to ensure legal compliance and to incorporate best practice into all aspects of college operations.
You will support the Director of Health, Safety and Business Continuity, and the Health and Safety Business Partners to deliver the objectives in the University’s Health and Safety Strategy and drive the continuous improvement of Health and Safety Management throughout the College.
You will work closely with the Health and Safety Business Partner for the College of Engineering and Physical Sciences to deliver a high quality service.
Duties include the following:
- Support health and safety best practice and compliance through coaching, mentoring and the identification, development and delivery of training to facilitate this
- Support the monitoring of risk assessment completion and quality of local arrangements across the College of Engineering and Physical Sciences
- Coordinating health surveillance requirements have been adequately identified and where necessary referrals for tests are taken and recorded
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders to ensure compliance with health and safety legislation
- Attending the College Health and Safety Committee and provide technical health and safety advice
- Coordinate the development and maintenance of local systems and processes which enable active and reactive monitoring to take place such as inspection and audit
- Assisting with investigating accidents and incidents to determine their causes and make appropriate recommendations for improvements and preventative measures
- Undertaking training as required across all job disciplines in the Health and Safety Unit to ensure continued customer service during absences
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Level 3 Qualified in Occupational Health & Safety Management.
- Degree or relevant qualification in an engineering or science based discipline.
- Membership of IOSH or equivalent professional body.
- Good current knowledge of health and safety legislation and regulations.
For more information or to apply for a position, please forward an updated version of your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org contact Tom Wilkinson on 0121 616 0682, quotingthe job title.