£45,000 - £55,000 per annum
Main purpose of the job:
This role covers the management, maintenance, and support of all SQL Hosting responsibilities within the account. At this role level, employees will be expected to deliver against a set of responsibilities as agreed with Service Delivery Management. The successful candidate will have excellent SQL knowledge aligned with high levels of troubleshooting skills. While employees at this level will receive instruction or assistance in technical areas as required to extend and grow their experience, they will be expected to work independently, use their own initiative, whilst driving continuous service improvements with the SQL estate.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for day-to-day management of the SQL Estate including ensuring service availability for all SQL Services, fully operational Failover Clusters and Availability.
- Responsible for the Database backups and restorations in line with contractual requirements.
- Develop, revise and implement policies, standards, procedures and rules in order to administer the database environment
- Management of SQL Monitoring, DB Performance and Stability to minimise any database downtime
- Perform advanced troubleshooting, mentoring of Level 2 DBA(s) and mitigation for any vulnerabilities including implementation of new patches and versions when required
- Design \ Enhance and Build SQL Servers \ Services in accordance to end users information needs.
- Develop, test, and administer database security procedures and recovery procedures
- Liaise directly with the customer to resolve issues timely.
- In addition to the above duties and responsibilities the post holder must be prepared to undertake such additional duties which may result from changing circumstances, but which may not of necessity change the general character or level of responsibility to the post.
- Please note that this job description is subject to ongoing review as new demands and best working practices are considered, agreed and implemented.
Skills and qualities required:
- Excellent SQL Server Knowledge with regards to the administration and troubleshooting of SQL Server implementations within an enterprise environment – SQL Server 2008 and above.
- Excellent skills in stored procedures, replication, and query tuning
- Experience leading projects with an outstanding ability to handle multiple projects, priorities, and resource demands simultaneously
- Must have demonstrated communication skills, both verbal and written, and be comfortable communicating with upper management, vendors, and customers
- Ability to work within a complex, competitive and continuously changing environment
- Ability to build effective relationships quickly with relevant business functions and key stakeholders
- Good working knowledge of Windows Server technologies (Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, Windows Server 2008 and above)
- Good working knowledge of a backup technology
- Good working knowledge of incident, problem and change management
- A working knowledge of general networking (e.g. routing, firewall dependencies)