Public Sector Organisation
Salary: starting at £35,934 and increasing to £38,813 per annum (Subject to job evaluation)
Permanent – Full Time
A leading organisation is seeking a dynamic Capital Accountant to join their highly regarded Finance department and develop their career. Our client is based in the Nottinghamshire area and is highly regarded.
They are looking for a qualified Accountant to join the corporate accountancy team. The right applicant will be dynamic and keen to progress within the organisation, you will also need a back ground in Public sector Finance.
Your main duties will be leading on capital, treasury management and year end, however other responsibilities will include:
- To provide a comprehensive, high quality finance service covering the specific areas of: Capital Accounting, Asset Register and Treasury Management for both General Fund and Housing Investment Programme
- To provide training for non-financial staff across the Council in financial matters, when requested
- To support the Finance Manager in the coordination of the closure of accounts and production of the annual statement of accounts
- Co-ordination/completion of relevant statistical returns and grant claims
- Responsible for financial administration and overview of external grant funding, including bids and claims in accordance with the grant manual
- Completion of the monthly VAT return
- To organise, monitor and review work in respect of working papers for the closure of accounts to ensure technical accuracy and compliance with all accounting regulations and Codes of Practice
- To work with Financial Analyst (Capital) to co-ordinate the Housing and General Fund Capital Programmes
- Take responsibility for the preparation and management of the daily cashflow process and associated reconciliations
- Discuss options for investment with brokers, and determine the most suitable investment vehicle for the Council on a daily basis in line with the Treasury Management Strategy
- Responsibility for CHAPs and BACS payments to be created and payments made in accordance with the council’s financial procedures, so as to avoid financial penalties being incurred
- Preparation of estimates and budgets, in consultation with budget-holders, and in line with the Council’s budget strategy
- To produce and oversee the monitoring of a 5 year Capital Programme
- To produce and monitor the Prudential Indicators in line with the Capital Programme
- Provision of technical advice on budgetary control and other financial matters
- Check and verify financial implications on reports from service managers, making suitable amendments and gain appropriate approval
- Promote the use of external funding opportunities available to the Council to include input into corporate strategies and business plans e.g. Capital Strategy, Housing Investment Programme, European funding etc.
- To produce the Capital Accounts for inclusion in the authority’s Statement of Accounts including working papers to support the figures
- To ensure that proactive monitoring of actual expenditure and income against capital budgets takes place, ensuring compliance with Financial Procedure Rules - This monitoring is to include reporting to officer groups and Members
- Ensure that the requirements of the external auditor are met to enable the successful completion of the annual audit of accounts
Full Job Description Available on request
If you would like more information on this opportunity, please contact Hannah Fritz-Lewis at Venn Group via email so we can arrange an intitial conversation.
Venn Group is an equal opportunities employment business and employment agency and welcomes applications from all candidates.