Health and Safety Business Partner - Permanent
Salary: £33,797 - £44,045 per annum
Benefits: 30 days annual leave plus public and concessionary holiday days, flexible working time and excellent pension benefits.
Venn Group are working in partnership with Aston University to recruit for exciting opportunities within a forward thinking Health and Safety Team.
About Aston University
Aston University was announced as the Guardian University of the Year 2020 and winner of the Times Higher Education’s (THE) 2020 Outstanding Entrepreneurial University.
College and School structure
The University is made up of three Colleges forming our internal structure and Schools within the Colleges, which form our externally-facing brands:
- College of Business and Social Sciences (Aston Business School, Aston Law School, Social Sciences and Humanities)
- College of Health and Life Sciences (School of Biosciences, Pharmacy, Optometry, Aston Medical School and Psychology)
- College of Engineering and Physical Sciences (Schools of Informatics and Digital Engineering, Infrastructure and Sustainable Engineering and Engineering and Technology)
Excellence in teaching and research
We combine intensive teaching and research and are known for our high quality teaching - the award of gold in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF), is testament to this. Teaching is specialist, relevant and practical with access to professional and technical equipment in the relevant subject area.
Links with industry
Aston’s close and established links with business, the public sector and the professions ensure that our career-focused degree programmes are inspiring and challenging. Many of our programmes have professional accreditations and awards from the relevant professional body or association.
Pioneers for work placements
Aston University has over 50 years’ experience of providing students with placement opportunities, working with hundreds of employers across the West Midlands, the UK and globally to deliver excellent placements, Over 80% of our graduates are in professional level employment or further study within 15 months of graduating ((2021 Guardian University Guide).
Green, sustainable campus
With 15,000 students from more than 120 countries, Aston University is a safe and friendly campus enjoyed by a global, multicultural community. We have one of the ‘greenest’ universities in the UK, and are currently in the top 10 in the 2019 People and Planet University Green League. Our academic campus houses all the social and accommodation facilities for our students and is within walking distance to the city.
Centrally located in Birmingham
Aston University has a great location in the centre of Birmingham, one of the UK’s most vibrant
cities. We are ideally placed for transport links and Birmingham is one of the most accessible cities in the UK.
As a Health and Safety Business Partner, you will work with colleagues with with internal customers to provide professional advice and assistance to ensure legal compliance and to incorporate best practice into all aspects of service provision.
You will support the Director of Health, Safety and Business Continuity to deliver the objectives in the University’s Health, Safety and Wellbeing Strategy and drive the continuous improvement of Health and Safety Management throughout the University.
The Health and Safety Partners will have specific responsibilities for a health and safety specialism and will update other team members on that specialist area to ensure consistency in service provision.
Duties include the following:
- Ensuring that relevant health and safety information is shared with colleagues to enable appropriate levels of customer service in the absence of the Radiation Lead and Fire Safety Specialist
- Taking the lead on allocated subject specialisms and support specialist advisory groups
- Providing competent health and safety advice, support and guidance to leaders and managers throughout the University in order to assist them in achieving compliance with their duties under the Health and Safety at Work Act and supporting regulations
- Attending partnered School and Support Area Health and Safety Committees and provide health and safety advice in those areas
- Developing, monitoring and reviewing in consultation with appropriate University staff, suitable health and safety and fire policies, procedures and standards to meet the objectives of the University Strategy and the Health, Safety and Wellbeing Strategy
- Produce and communicate the findings of reports on the performance and status of health and safety management systems for those areas and the managers they support
- Supporting the Director of Health, Safety and Business Continuity with the auditing programme for the University and to participate as an audit team member when undertaking internal audits across the University
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- Level 6 Qualified in Occupational Health & Safety Management
- Degree or relevant qualification in engineering or science
- Chartered Membership of IOSH or equivalent professional body
- Relevant experience in Higher Education Sector or similar
For more information or to apply for a position, please forward an updated version of your CV to email@example.com contact Tom Wilkinson on 0121