Locum Head of Law and Governance & Deputy Monitoring Officer –£500 - £750 per day – Predominantly Remote Working – Midlands
Venn Group’s specialist legal team are excited to be recruiting for a Head of Law and Governance & Deputy Monitoring Officer to join a Local Authority legal team in the Midlands to start as soon as possible.
The assignment is offered for an initial period 4 months with the possibility of extension thereafter dependent upon performance.
This role is offered on a predominantly remote working basis with the expectation of attending the office once per fortnight. Due to the managerial nature of the role, ideally the client would like someone to take on the position on a full time basis however part-time candidates who can commit to 4 days per week will also be considered.
This role is suitable for a qualified Solicitor or Barrister with Deputy Monitoring Officer Experience gained within Local Government.
Duties may include:
- Acting as a line manager for 5 managers across the Legal and Information Governance Team
- Researching and providing legal advice on a range of legal matters
- Providing advice and guidance on the Council’s constitution and dealing with complaints under the councillors Code of Conduct
- Assisting the Director of Law and Governance and deputizing when necessary
- Advising on and drafting responses to complaints made under the Council’s Corporate Complaints Procedure and complaints made to the Local Government Ombudsman
- Giving advice related to Election Law
- Supporting the formulation of policy proposals for presentation to the committees
- Writing reports summarising legal advice for the use of committees and sub-committees
- Checking the reports drafted by other departments considering the legal and policy implications and contributing or advising on the necessary amendments where required
- Carrying out the Council’s Performance Development Review cycle to review the performance and development of the wider team
- Assessing needs and carrying out the relevant training and CPD as appropriate
- Undertaking administrative duties such as the registration of electors and the organisation of elections i.e. processing postal votes, canvassing properties during office hours
The position offers an hourly rate of up to £750 per day dependent upon levels of experience.
Please apply for this role online or contact Connie Ross or Will Pardoe via phone or email for further information.
0121 616 0660
At Venn Group, we endeavour to respond to all applications within 48 hours. However due to the volume of applications we receive we may not be able to respond to all applications individually. If you have not heard from us within a 48 hour timeframe your application has been unsuccessful on this occasion.
Venn Group aim to achieve the highest standards so you can be assured your application will be handled with professionalism and care.