Principal Childcare Solicitor
Sandwell Metropolitan Borough Council is situated at the very heart of the West Midlands, just a stone’s throw from Birmingham. A large, diverse, metropolitan borough, Sandwell offers exciting opportunities for all in a friendly, supportive environment.
Our Vision 2030 shows just how committed we are to creating the best future possible for our communities and for the people who live and work in Sandwell.
We currently have a number of exciting permanent opportunities within our Legal Services department. One of these opportunities is a Principal Childcare Lawyer, which would be well-suited to an experienced Solicitor or Barrister.
As Principal Childcare Lawyer, you will manage a busy caseload and advise client departments on complex issues concerning Childcare Law. You will also act as in house counsel in such matters, providing expert legal advice as required. We will also continue to utilise outside counsel for advice and representation where appropriate.
We’re proud of our family friendly working policy which allows for flexible working. This position allows for hybrid working with a significant remote working component. You will join a supportive team and benefit from the assistance of an experienced and capable caseworker.
Whilst previous local authority experience would be an advantage, we are also open to candidates with a private practice or in-house background from a different sector, who’d like to explore a career within Local Government.
- Manage a varied caseload of complex matters, such as abuse, non-accidental injuries, child deaths, fictitious illness, and cases involving implacable hostility
- Advise clients on the legal aspects of childcare matters in the Family Courts
- Attend Committees, bodies or panels as may be required
- Act as a mediator on arbitrations matters for internal and external clients
- Qualified Solicitor or Barrister
- Minimum of four years post qualification experience
- Willing to conduct advocacy in court
- Supportive and welcoming team
- Hybrid working with significant remote working
- Formal policy allowing for flexible working
- Access to the Local Government Pension Scheme
- Access to an award-winning employee benefits scheme
- 31 days annual leave, rising to 36 after five years continuous service
- Option to buy an additional 10 days annual leave per annum
Please reach out to our retained recruitment partners at Venn Group for further information:
Alternatively, for an informal, confidential discussion please call Nik Stoate on 0121 616 0681.