An opportunity has arisen for a strategic and knowledgeable Housing Disrepair Solicitor to join Sandwell Metropolitan Borough Council. This is a newly created permanent role which will see you taking the lead on housing disrepair matters for the council.
You will have conduct of a Housing Disrepair caseload and benefit from a strong departmental structure and excellent client relationships. You will manage a caseworker who will give you support with your caseload.
One exciting element of this post is the strategic input that you will have over the Council’s approach to this vibrant area of law. You will advise on Council policy with relation to Housing disrepair law and have the scope to further build upon strong client relationships.
Sandwell Metropolitan Borough Council is situated at the very heart of the West Midlands, just a stone’s throw from Birmingham. A large, diverse, metropolitan borough, Sandwell offers exciting opportunities for all in a friendly, supportive environment.
This position allows for hybrid working with a significant remote working component.
- Undertake all aspects of legal work relating to housing disrepair and litigation
- Manage housing disrepair cases at all stages of pre-litigation/litigation
- Have conduct of Section 82 Environmental Protection Act 1990 cases
- Ensure compliance with the Housing Disrepair Pre-Action Protocol
- Advise on the management of risk on complex and contentious legal issues
- Represent the Council in court and Conduct advocacy where appropriate
- Negotiate and draft complex and sensitive agreements and documents in the area of Housing Disrepair and litigation and to provide clear case strategy on cases
- Assess evidence in relation to Housing disrepair matters and determine the likely prospects of success and the public interest in prosecuting matters
- Qualified solicitor or barrister with three or more years PQE
- Two or more years’ experience of housing disrepair law
- Excellent communication and stakeholder management skills
- Hybrid working with significant remote working
- Formal policy allowing for flexible working
- Access to the Local Government Pension Scheme
- Access to an award-winning employee benefits scheme
- 31 days annual leave, rising to 36 after five years continuous service
- Option to buy an additional 10 days annual leave per annum
Click here for more information.
Please contact Nik Stoate at Venn Group for a confidential discussion.
0121 616 0681