Head of Technical Finance, Capital and Strategy
Rate: Negotiable day rates (Inside IR35)
Duration: Until 31/12/2022 initial with possible extensions
Remote: Remote Working Available (Organisation based in the Midlands)
We are currently working with a large local authority who require the assistance of a Head of Technical Finance, Capital and Strategy on an interim basis until at least the end of the year.
The ideal candidate will have strong technical accounting skills and an excellent knowledge and understanding of Local Government Finance. Good technical knowledge required on treasury, capital and financial reporting. Corporate and Financial knowledge is also a requirement for this role. Candidates need to have management experience.
- To be responsible for leading the Technical Accounting and Strategy function within the Finance Directorate
- To play the lead role in planning and developing the Council’s financial strategy, budget setting and closure of accounts processes
- To provide strategic financial advice and expertise to Leadership Team and Elected Members to assist with policy decision and achieving the Council’s transformation and improvement plans
- The role helps discharge Section 151 responsibilities and will be responsible for reporting on the financial performance of the services within the remit of the post and ensure a culture of effective financial management and stewardship of public funds
- To support the Assistant Director Finance in the motivational leadership of the Financial Accounting and Strategy function ensuring clarity of direction, effective communication and the development of employee’s full potential
- To be the primary expert on financial accounting regulations and be the primary advisor on this subject matter to the Council’s statutory section 151 Officer
- To lead on the closure of statutory accounts and returns (including VAT and other appropriate taxes) within statutory deadlines, and be responsible for assisting the Assistant Director Finance to incorporate the outputs within the relevant Corporate Reports to Leadership Team and Councillors
- To hold the day to day responsibility for the Council’s system of financial controls, ensuring that all key reconciliations are produced monthly, quarterly or yearly depending on their importance and regularity
- To regularly liaise and manage relationships with the External Auditors at a senior level
If you meet the above-mentioned criteria, please apply below. At Venn Group, we endeavour to respond to all applications. However due to the volume of applications we receive, if you have not heard from us within 48 hours please assume you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.